Monday, November 8, 2010

Reflection upon our Oral Presentation

Yesterday( on 8-10-2010), we, "MAPP your Future" group, finished our final presentation of our research proposal. I heartily thank all of my group mates, Nanhai, Elgin and Yuen May, for working together as a group and coming up with such a great and useful proposal and then finally a good presentation of our proposal.

PREPARATION:

We held three meetings before the actual presentation. We made full use of these meetings as ,before each one of them, we already assigned everyone's work. I received very useful tips regarding how to express my point and also how to improve my the coherence of the materials shown in slides. Due to time clashes and CAs , we could not held more of such meetings ; which would eventually prove to be better for us to give our best on final day presentation. However, to cope up with this problem, we were in continuous contact through e-mail , giving suggestions and asking doubts from one another. It was very useful for me to improve in all the possible areas of my presentation.

DELIVERY:

I tried to be very clear with my point to explain as my part was to actually explain the "PROPOSED PLAN". So, to do it effectively I slowed down my speech, allowed the audience to digest and then proceed further. I tried to explain each and every point related to implementation of our research proposal, so that there are confusions or questioning regarding how our proposal is implemented. I think I did better job than the last peer teaching. The important thing was that I did not loose my chain of thoughts in front of audience. Hence, I went through it explaining my point.

USE OF VISUALS AND SLIDES:

Our proposal was divided into: Introduction, what is MAPP test, What we propose, Benefits and Conclusion. Hence, each part was given to Elgin, Nanhai, me and May respectively. Hence, we tried our best to make these slides to look coherent. Since, these divided are very well related and at the same time refer to 5 different parts, hence I feel we gave our best to make it look like a "One Complete Presentation Slides". As everybody pointed out at the end of our presentation, it slightly looked as if slides were designed by different people. But at the same time, I think it is acceptable as long as it not that uncomfortable or noticeable.

I used logos and photos of agencies to present our proposal in a official way. Also other pictures were used to emphasize upon a single point. Words were used to minimum level and were self explanatory too without ambiguities.


Overall, I feel our group did very well to present our proposal. This presentation has really helped me to sharpen my skills of oral communication and delivery tricks. Each one of us enjoyed our work and we gave our best. I learned a lot about key points of expression and engaging audience too. This project has really made me advance to next level of writing and professional speaking.

I shall totally appreciate to get feedback from our peer group and fellow classmates too. I and my whole group are looking forward to improve our skills further with your recommendations and feedbacks.

Thanks once again!!!!

13 comments:

  1. Hey Shivam!

    It's great to finally complete the last stage of ES2007S right!

    As you mentioned, you intentionally slowed down your speech to allow the audience to better digest the information. As compared to your peer teaching, I could really feel the difference. You took a slower approach and pronounce your words distinctly and carefully. Kudos for that.

    However, I noticed you placed your hand in your pocket a couple of times. This might not be appropriate in the context of a presentation, perhaps you might want to pay more attention to this aspect of body gestures.

    Thanks!
    Alvin

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Alvin: I did not know that. Seriously!! I mean, due to habit or some sort of other thing i may have done that. I was not expecting that a bit. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Shivam,

    I think that despite the lack of time which we were all faced with, you guys did a great job nevertheless. As has been mentioned before, there was definitely a very professional feel to your presentation. You appeared alot more confident and succinct this time round as compared to peer teaching. You were also able to project your voice out loud and maintained clarity throughout. This was probably due to a conscious effort on your part to delibrately slow down your speech. Like Alvin, I was able to recognise that instantly and 2 thumbs up for that!

    However, my only critisicm was the one Xiaoshi already mentioned in class about your eye contact. You seemed to be looking at a general direction far too often. In fact I remember that you were better in this aspect during peer teaching, so I'm not exactly sure why you changed from that.

    In any case, it was a good job overall and your group's teamwork clearly showed through in what was an impressive presentation. You definitely played your part. And very well indeed. Seeya tomorrow man. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Shivam!

    Great job for your presentation! It was definitely an improvement from peer teaching and like what Vinod said, I guess that's all that matters; that we learn and improve from every lesson. (: Your clear presentation also allowed me to follow through every point you were discussing. No distinct stumbling or whatsoever, so well done on that!

    Not much flaws that I can think of. But probably, you could have sounded more confident and persuasive about your proposal, to make the audience convinced. Like what Vinod mentioned, eye contact could have been better too. You didn't look at me at all! Haha, but that aside, it was still nicely done! Great job, Shivam! (:

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for posting this reflection, Shivam, and once again, for making a great effort in preparing and delivering the presentation!

    I have already provided feedback on the presentation itself, but I want to add to the commentary you have received from your peer reviewers: You did a very fine job presenting, you seemed highly professional, and you made major improvement over the peer teaching. It was a pleasure witnessing such improvement.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Shivam,

    Congratulations for a presentation well done!

    I try not repeat the points others have mentioned. What I really liked about your presentation is that your slides are very simple and impressive. I still remember the slide about "insufficient manpower" in NUS career centre!

    In terms of areas for improvements, I felt that the two slides about "Why" and "Why" are not very necessary because they were flashed away in two or three seconds. Also, the first "why" slide might not be very appropriate in a professional setting because it sends a signal that this slide is done by a teenager or young adult.

    Yup, other than that, your attire and presentation are both very professional. And I would be convinced if you tell me you are an experienced businessman!Haha!

    All the best for your future endeavours!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Shivam,

    Good job on the presentation! I think you did a good job in presenting your proposal.

    I like the was you put the pauses and tone across in the presentation. The analysis of the proposal is pretty detail which come out to be convincing. And thank you for slowing down. Your pronunciation is a little different, so slowing down make it a lot easier to catch the whole thing. The dress that you were in is quite suitable, but you shouldn't have rolled up your sleeves. That makes it a little informal.

    The confidence level though is a little lacking and the eye contact was not very well-maintained. Nevertheless, it was really a good job. Thanks for the presentation.

    Cheers,
    Billet

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Alicia: Thanks for the feedback. I will surely look to you whenever we meet again :). haha. Thanks for the comments.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Brad: Thanks Brad for such encouraging words and feedback.

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Xi Xi: Thanks for the valuable feedback. I will surely avoid those slides as pointed by you. Thanks once again

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Billet: Thanks Billet. Was I looking nervous? Ok. Thanks for the feedback. I surely improve in terms of confidence level.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks a lot everyone for being such a supportive classmate. I sincerely would like to thank each and everyone of you and especially my wonderful group.

    ReplyDelete
  13. @Vinod: I agree with you now. I just thought of keeping a limited eye contact so that I do not loose my chain of thoughts. But I think in this aspect I did well in my peer teaching. I will surely work on this. Thanks man. :)

    ReplyDelete