Sunday, August 22, 2010

Importance of effective professional communication in my LIFE!!!!!

Hello everyone. We often think of some of the questions like: “ Did I converse well in front of them? , Did I host the show effectively?, Did I entertained my colleagues with proper reasoning?” and so on. Even one of the most nocturnal element of our society, the scientist, sometimes thinks whether his seminar was well enlightened by him or not. We find that the art of effective communication covers each and every one of us. I am also not an exception. It is one of the most integral part of myself.

With the help of effective communication, I can converse well with others and exchange my thoughts and ideas to a greater extent. It gives me a form of self-awareness to employ adequate principles to speak with correct grammar and pronunciation. I accept I am still learning and will learn this art throughout my life as it cannot be mastered with so many direct and indirect elements related to it.

Few common activities, in this regard, includes public speaking, talking to cross-cultural people , writing e-mails to friends, colleagues, employees and interviews. Proficient command over English language will help me to gain confidence and speak in front of audience. I can easily mingle with people of diverse cultures. It is very important for any individual to learn how to write letters, e-mails etc. to friends , professional people and even to seek jobs. The methodology is very different in each case so the “art” must be understood to deal with each scenario. I find it very applicable to my case and most of my fellow mates. I would like to share one of my experiences. I had to give a short speech of not more than 90 seconds to run for two positions(Director and subordinate).I planned well how to share my strengths humbly , but with more confidence and gestures. I would also make them laugh and other candidates to be at ease. However, I screwed up everything at the stage and just spoke everything like a mere speech. I was given the subordinate position. I learned that practicing well in front of the mirror does not help you if you do not possess effective communication within your friends and people you don’t know. It was a great lesson taught to me and I still make efforts to improve my communication skills.

I have also realized the importance of blogging as it helps to share my thoughts, improving writing skills and realizing flaws and mistakes upon receiving comments. It has helped me even to go through research papers and analyze the data.

Overall, from my point of view, effective communication forms foundation of higher learning and understanding. I want to learn it as far as I can which would greatly help me to express what I actually need to without being nervous. This would ensure greater social and successful life for me.

12 comments:

  1. Hi Shivam!

    It was an interesting post of yours. The account of your 90 seconds speech somehow reminded me of a similar experience i had. I could totally understand how you felt after giving the speech. The amount of time spent on rehearsals, making sure everything would turn out flawless, to even practicing in front of a mirror!But a mere 90 seconds was all it took to throw our efforts down the drain. The next moment we know, we're filled with disappointments and regrets. Nonetheless, at least you begun to realise the need for effective communication.

    Let us work towards being an effective communicator and I believe you will storm the stage one day! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Shivam,

    As non-native English speakers, we seem to face more difficulties than the native counterparts. The way of pronunciations in English is vastly different compared to Indian and Chinese languages. In addition, we also need to work hard on vocabulary building so as to decide how to use the right word.

    On the other hand, we should be happy about the fact that English is a much easier language to pick up and master. It takes much less study hours to learn English. I personally feel very fortunate to have Chinese as my first language. Can't imagine how horrible my life could be if I have to learn Chinese as second lauguage.

    By the way, I am working on a project called "campus speech contest 2010". Join us and horn your public speaking skills! Please visit our website at www.campusspeechcontest2010.com.

    Hope to see you at our contest!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Shivam,

    Until I read your post, I thought I was alone in screwing up on stage. I do have a bit of public speaking and emceeing experience, but I do occasionally screw up, and I still get nervous on stage. As a result, I might send the wrong messages to the audience. I guess this can only be remedied with more practice in public speaking and emceeing.

    $W?h0w$

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, Shivam, for this post. I appreciate the way you move from the comm skills needs of the scientist in general to yourself in specific.
    I also like your anecdote bout the 90 second speech, but I feel that could be described more clearly. Aside from that, there are some other language issues that you should review:

    1) Did I entertained >>> ?

    2) covers >>> applies to

    3) whether his seminar was well enlightened by him or not. >>> whether his seminar was well presented or not.

    4) Few common activities, in this regard, includes public speaking, talking to cross-cultural people , writing e-mails to friends, colleagues, employees and interviews. >>> ?

    5) make them laugh >>> make who laugh?

    6) I screwed up (too colloquial) >>>

    7) It is one of the most integral part of myself. >>> avoid stating the obvious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. hey shivam!

    It was a joy reading your post, especially on your take on the importance of effective communication, which relects alot on your personal life.

    I can relate to your anxiety for your speech. I guess all of us have had past experiences that in one way or another, shown us the importance of public speaking. Definitely, with effective communication, we are able to excel better in life. (:

    Keep up the good work, Shivam! I am impressed at your ability to pick up a second language so well! Let us all improve ourselves through the journey of ES2007S. (:

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Shivam!

    Thanks for openly sharing your less-than-glamorous 90-second speech experience with us. It does take a lot of guts to stand up in front of a crowd (especially when you know they're judging you, sizing you up). And yes, I completely agree with your point that it just isn't enough if one can rattle off a speech (with animated gestures thrown in for good measure) in front of a mirror; everything changes once you're in front of a live audience of strangers.

    Well, hopefully we'll get the hang of controlling our nerves when it comes to public speaking, through the course of ES2007S. (: See you in class!

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Alvin: I totally agree with you man. Sure, we all shall work together to do the job.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Xi Xi: Sure. I would love to join the speech contest. I totally agree with you to work hard and improve English.

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Whyhow: Lets do it bro... improve our public speaking which is very very important. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Brad: Thanks a lot Brad to point out the mistakes. I have already made corrections.

    ReplyDelete
  12. @ Alicia: It is pleasure to read your post too. We all surely will improve our skills through this module.

    ReplyDelete